ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] separation of copypool tapes

2007-07-13 09:31:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] separation of copypool tapes
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:28:14 -0400
One relatively minor change to Richard's statement --

> Keep in mind the basic principle that an object remains in the
> copypool ONLY as long as it the original object remains in _a_ primary
> pool, a tenet which you can use to advantage.

I've seen the same thing -- as long as the data is in a primary pool, it
hasn't expired. If it hasn't expired, it won't automatically fall off
the copypool tape.  And -- if the data was copied to that copypool, it
will STAY in that copypool when you run a reclaim on the volume. So wait
until the copypool volume qualifies for a reclaim and delete it instead
of reclaiming it.

The next backup of your primary storage will effectively recreate the
deleted volume with just the data that truly belongs in the copypool.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc