ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Linux

2007-02-27 03:08:44
Subject: Re: TSM and Linux
From: "Lehmann, Stefan" <stefan.lehmann AT GARTENBAU.LSV DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:51:36 +0100
Hello Mark,

we are currently using both - Linux and AIX as TSM-Server Platform (5.3.4.2) . There is no difference in stability,
both are running well.

But handling disk storage (eg database volumes or diskpool volumes) running with aix is a lot easier. LVM coming with AIX is quite easier to handle. But if you have Linux Guys with great skills on
this, I see no problem with Linux.

Next is the problem with tape drivers - we have a 3 tsm servers running on SLES8 (SuSE/Novell) and an IBM4560SLX Library, now we have to upgrade to SLES10 and IBM can´t tell us if there is!! a driver or existing drivers would work .. Now we have to test this environment @IBM.
This a problem we´ve never seen on AIX and our 3584 library.

regards

Stefan

Mark Scott schrieb:
Morning all

                Does anyone have any experiences good or bad running
Linux as a TSM Server? We are a reasonable size environment currently
running AIX as our server and Linux/Windows and Aix clients.
            The question has been asked for various reasons to change
processors and flavour.

All feed back would be appreciated.

Regards Mark
Mark Scott

Enterprise Storage & Tivoli Team Leader

Bunnings Group Limited
126 Pilbara Street, Welshpool WA 6106

Locked Bag 20, Welshpool DC WA 6985

Phone : (08) 9365 1779

Fax :    (08) 9350 6686

Mobile : 0408925402

E-mail : mscott AT bunnings.com DOT au <mailto:mscott AT bunnings.com DOT au>

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)     This email is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you have received
this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email and
delete the document.

2)     All emails sent to and sent from Bunnings Group Limited.
are scanned for content.  Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
subject matter will be reported to the email administrator of all
parties concerned.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Gartenbau Berufsgenossenschaft
Stefan Lehmann