ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Linux

2007-02-28 15:13:18
Subject: Re: TSM and Linux
From: John Underdown <johnunderdown AT STI.SYNOVUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:42:18 -0500
Patrick's right that the perfromance problem is probably due to  the
swappiness setting. the 2.4 kernel didn't have this option but a
swappiness value of 0 gives the 2.6 kernel something close to what 2.4
is running.  the default is 60 and no matter how much ram you have TSM
will be swapped out to disk and run like a dog. i saw this with vmstat,
once i set swappiness to 0, TSM ran like a scalded dog.

but again you need to have plenty of ram and TSM needs to be  the only
major application running on the server. basically changing this option
tunes the kernel performance between an application or a print/file
server.

john