ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Linux

2007-02-27 09:26:56
Subject: Re: TSM and Linux
From: Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj AT EDNET.NS DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:26:33 -0400
Mark Scott wrote:
Morning all

                Does anyone have any experiences good or bad running
Linux as a TSM Server? We are a reasonable size environment currently
running AIX as our server and Linux/Windows and Aix clients.

            The question has been asked for various reasons to change
processors and flavour.

All feed back would be appreciated.

We started using TSM on Linux back when Redhat 8 was in production. It
has worked well for us except for one thing. Every time we try to update
the OS to anything using a 2.6 kernel (CentOS 4.4 for example) the TSM
server performs terribly under load.

For example, at 10:00pm when about 15 machines start a backup you can
not get an admin console to start for about 5 to 10 minutes. We always
end up going back to RedHat 8 with 2.4.x kernel. From all the testing we
have done it appears that the 2.6.x kernel is the problem.

Regards Mark

Mark Scott

Enterprise Storage & Tivoli Team Leader

Bunnings Group Limited

126 Pilbara Street, Welshpool WA 6106

Locked Bag 20, Welshpool DC WA 6985

Phone : (08) 9365 1779

Fax :    (08) 9350 6686

Mobile : 0408925402

E-mail : mscott AT bunnings.com DOT au <mailto:mscott AT bunnings.com DOT au>

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)     This email is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you have received
this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email and
delete the document.

2)     All emails sent to and sent from Bunnings Group Limited.
are scanned for content.  Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
subject matter will be reported to the email administrator of all
parties concerned.