ADSM-L

Re: Best Practice for Moving Node to new Domain

2006-12-08 11:40:06
Subject: Re: Best Practice for Moving Node to new Domain
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:38:59 -0500
-----Melburn Dennis wrote: -----

>What is considered the best practice for completely moving (both
>archive and backup data) a node from one domain to another on the
>same server?
>I know that you can do an "update node" command to point it to a new
>domain, but this doesn't necessarily move the data to the new domain,
>I am assuming it just makes it so that any new data is backedup/
>archived under the new domain policies. The reason I am asking is
>that I need to move a node from one domain that does not use
>collocation (for our smaller file servers) to a domain for our
>arger file servers that uses a stgpool with collocation turned on
>by node.  Any suggestions?

The 'move nodedata' command is the obvious way of moving data between
primary storage pools in this situation. If the domains also use
different copy storage pools, normal 'backup stgpool' commands will
get copies of the moved data into the new copy pool. I don't know of
any good way to get the moved data out of the old copy pool. The best
idea I have so far come up with is to delete the old copy pool volumes
containing data from the moved node and then run 'backup stgpool'commands
to recopy the data still in the old primary pool.