ADSM-L

Re: process "dsmserv" terminating

2006-10-23 16:25:45
Subject: Re: process "dsmserv" terminating
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:24:30 -0400
1) Look in your server install directory.
(The location is dependent on your server platform; it helps a LOT when
you post a question if you will give us your server platform and release
level!) If the server crashes, there is usually a dsmserv.err file.

2) If your server does come back up, look in the server activity log to
see what messages were issued just before it died.

3) DB 90% full is not fatal, and shouldn't have taken your server down.
(NOTHING should take the server down, except the RECOVERY LOG filling
up.)

4) I strongly recommend use of the TSM Operational Reporter for
proactive server monitoring.

TOR produces a nice HTML daily report that will give you a heads-up on
things like the DB getting full.  TOR only runs on a Windows platform,
but will monitor any supported TSM server regardless of platform.  (You
can run TOR on an XP desktop just fine.)

Look in your respective TSM admin guide, in the chapter on Server
Monitoring; or search the .pdf for Operational Report.