ADSM-L

Re: Tape TTL

2006-10-19 12:45:53
Subject: Re: Tape TTL
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:44:35 -0400
At 10:53 AM 10/18/2006, Bos, Karel wrote:
So, we need an extra table containing all volumes at any point defined
in ITSM containing at least date_first_used, #mounts, #errors,
#write_passes and current_state. Or something like that.

Something along these lines would do the trick.  I agree that the
libvol record is not the correct place.  Of course, once you have
records in such a new table, you'll need ways to remove them.  Yucko.

Another option would be to dump these metrics in the volumehistory
file whenever there is a STGDELETE record created, or perhaps some
new type of metric history file.  Then you could have a TSM command
that would query not only the current volume metrics, but would
search in this file for any matches, and accumulate those as
well.  Something like "Q VOLMETRICS <volser> [ HISTORY=YES ]"
This would look for any volumes in any defined libraries that match
<volser>.  If HISTORY=YES were specified, it would also look in the
history file and add in those metrics as well.

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521