ADSM-L

Tape TTL

2006-10-18 07:45:37
Subject: Tape TTL
From: Lars-Erik Öhman <larsa.ohman AT CARNEGIE DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:44:00 +0200
Library: 3584
Drives: 3592

Have been looking for any recommendations about how long I could use a tape
before it´s necessary to change them to new ones. I know that it´s up to how
much a tape have been used, mounted, read, written and whatever. Or is it ok to
use a tape until it failures?

Below is details about 2 of my tapes, where 000051 is more typical of the most
of my tapes, and 000007 is very rare in my library. How come that the most of
my tapes are only mounted between 5 and 20 times since 1,5 years back? I do
backup between 450 and 600 Gb a night.

Thanks for any recommendations or thoughts around this matter.

/Larsa

  Volume Name : 000007
             Storage Pool Name : TAPEPOOL1
             Device Class Name : 3592CLASS
            Estimated Capacity : 495 655,812
       Scaled Capacity Applied : 100
                      Pct Util : 44,4
                 Volume Status : Full
                        Access : Read/Write
        Pct. Reclaimable Space : 55,9
               Scratch Volume? : Yes
               In Error State? : No
      Number of Writable Sides : 1
       Number of Times Mounted : 1 879
             Write Pass Number : 1
     Approx. Date Last Written : 2005-04-03 08:34:53 CEST
        Approx. Date Last Read : 2006-06-18 10:35:06 CEST
           Date Became Pending :
        Number of Write Errors : 0
         Number of Read Errors : 0
               Volume Location :
Volume is MVS Lanfree Capable  : No
Last Update by (administrator) :
         Last Update Date/Time : 2005-03-31 07:01:55 CEST
          Begin Reclaim Period :
            End Reclaim Period :

         Volume Name : 000051
             Storage Pool Name : TAPEPOOL1
             Device Class Name : 3592CLASS
            Estimated Capacity : 737 057,312
       Scaled Capacity Applied : 100
                      Pct Util : 49,8
                 Volume Status : Full
                        Access : Read/Write
        Pct. Reclaimable Space : 50,4
               Scratch Volume? : Yes
               In Error State? : No
      Number of Writable Sides : 1
       Number of Times Mounted : 12
             Write Pass Number : 1
     Approx. Date Last Written : 2006-09-29 06:55:50 CEST
        Approx. Date Last Read : 2006-10-17 19:45:44 CEST
           Date Became Pending :
        Number of Write Errors : 0
         Number of Read Errors : 0
               Volume Location :
Volume is MVS Lanfree Capable  : No
Last Update by (administrator) :
         Last Update Date/Time : 2006-09-28 09:11:39 CEST
          Begin Reclaim Period :
            End Reclaim Period :

This communication is from a Carnegie company within the Carnegie Group.

The information contained in it, including any attachment or enclosure, is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
confidential and/or privileged material. Any unauthorised use, review,
retransmissions, dissemination, copying or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete or shred the material immediately. Thank you.

Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not
given or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an
authorised representative independent of this message.