ADSM-L

Re: Question about LanFreeBackup

2006-10-16 09:37:07
Subject: Re: Question about LanFreeBackup
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.s AT EVOLVINGSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:34:16 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Robert Ouzen Ouzen
>I implant a LanFreeBackup of my Exchange server 2003 of 169 GB
database, by
>lan took 04:30 hours to backup on LTO2 tape by San I decrease to 02:20
>hours.
>I wonder if they are some tips to decrease the time any more !!!!!

Remember that LAN-free backups are often no faster than 100MB/1GB
Ethernet LAN-based backups. (In a few cases they will actually be
slower.) LAN-free is really a good option only when your LAN network is
too congested for timely backups, or you want to guarantee that all of a
given node's backups go to tape.

If you're using LAN-free backups with the purpose of sending them
directly to tape, that might also be done by use of the MAXSIZE
parameter in your disk storage pool, or by clever use of storage pools
and management classes.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.s AT evolvingsol DOT com)
Senior TSM engineer