ADSM-L

Re: Question about LanFreeBackup

2006-10-17 10:13:06
Subject: Re: Question about LanFreeBackup
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:11:40 -0400
Yes, our LAN Free goes directly to physical tape, namely 3590E in a 3494
library.

David

>>> Charles A Hart <charles_hart AT UHC DOT COM> 10/17/2006 9:21 AM >>>
David,

Was your 4-5 times faster going direct to a Physical Tape Drive?  I ask
as
we are moving to all Virtual Tape we are finding the LAN Free backups
any of the VTL Heads (Dilligent / Falcon Store etc) become the
bottleneck.
 I can see a stream to a 3592 or maybe an LTO3 drive do better than a
VTL
based LanFree.

I wish someone would make a VTL Head on a Unix box, there's just not
the
I/O capacity in these Intel/AMD based linux VTL heads....

Regards,

Charles Hart
UHT - Data Protection

David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
10/16/2006 01:15 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Question about LanFreeBackup

My experience has been different.  Lan Free backups of our Oracle
databases run 4 to 5 times faster than over our lan.  Systems with
lots
of small files to backup did not show much improvement going lan free.

David Ehresman

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf
Of
Anker Lerret
>> Remember that LAN-free backups are often no faster
>> than 100MB/1GB Ethernet LAN-based backups. (In a few
>> cases they will actually be slower.)
>
>Mark, can you say some more about that?  We're hoping to start doing
>LAN-free and I was hoping that we could see some nice improvements in
>large backups that go straight to tape.  Are you just talking about
the
>case where the LAN is relatively uncongested and the SAN is
overloaded?
>Or is there something else I'm missing?

I can't say that I've got quantifiable data; I speak from real-world
experience. SAN-based data transfer from disk to tape has been, in the
best of situations, only slightly faster than similar LAN-based data
transfer. As I said earlier, the only advantages I've ever seen to
LAN-free backups have been
1. where the LAN is too congested (or poorly configured) to guantee
reasonable backup speeds
2. the disk storage pool is too small to handle large file backups.
3. you want to guarantee that an entire node's backups go directly to
tape

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.s AT evolvingsol DOT com)
Senior TSM engineer

which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the
intended
recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby
notified
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the