ADSM-L

[no subject]

2006-10-12 13:22:52
From: Timothy Hughes <Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:21:33 -0400
Hello,

Just thought I would chime in I have a situation similar to this also.

I tried to do an Restore Volume on the tape and It ended with success but
No files were restored from the rmpool and it was marked as access
Destroyed, as it should. I then change the status back to readwrite.
There was a message that the volume contains files that could not be
restored ok
I knew that. I also tried a move process on the tape and it ended with a
failure.

Process 91 for RESTORE VOLUME running in the  BACKGROUND completed
with completion state SUCCESS  ANR1240I Restore of volumes in primary
storage pool
LT1POOL has ended. Files Restored: 0, Bytes Restored: 0, Unreadable
Files: 0,
Unreadable Bytes: 0

ANR1256W Volume 100113 contains files that could not be
Restored.
ANR2017I Administrator issued command: MOVE DATA
100113 STGPOOL=LT1POOL WAIT=NO RECONSTRUCT=YES

ANR1157I Removable volume 100113 is required for move
Process.
ANR0984I Process 189 for MOVE DATA started in the  BACKGROUND
ANR1140I Move data process started for volume 100113

ANR1161W The move process is skipping a damaged file on Volume 100113:
ANR1141I Move data process ended for volume 100113.
ANR0985I Process 189 for MOVE DATA running in the BACKGROUND
completed with completion state FAILURE.

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Whitlock, Brett

Here's the scenario...A primary pool tape was damaged.  After

performing

a restore volume from the copy pool I got a message saying:
ANR1256W Volume volume name contains files that could not be restored.

Will TSM back these files up during the next incremental?

No. What that means is that there were files on the (damaged) primary
tape volume that cannot be accessed using the copy pool volumes supplied
for the restore.

One of two things happened here.
1. Either you didn't bring back all the copy pool volumes needed to do a
full restore of the damaged primary pool volume, or
2. there are files on the primary pool volume that never got copied to
the copy pool (or were deleted from the copy pool later).

The first scenario can be tested by running

RESTORE VOL <badvolserial> PREVIEW=YES

If that comes back with additional copy pool volumes, you can perform
further restores. If it doesn't, the second option above is true, and
you've restored as much as you can.

--
Mark Stapleton
Senior TSM Engineer