ADSM-L

Re: Mixed drives in a library

2006-10-04 17:43:54
Subject: Re: Mixed drives in a library
From: "Colwell, William F." <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 17:40:53 -0400
Hi James,

I went thru this 6 months ago, going from 8 lto2 to 4 lto3 and 4 lto2.

I can't say this is a complete procedure, but here are some key points.

Go to version 5.3.3.* for the server and device driver.  lto3 media
isn't
recognized at a lower version.

My lto2 device classes had format=drive.  This will make trouble in a
mixed
library.  Change the lto2 devclass(s) to format=ultrium2c  and restart
your
server.  Since I run with 4 servers - 1 library manager and 3 backup
servers -
I had to stop all of them and restart the library manager first, then
the other
3.

Define new devclass(s) for lto3 with format=ultrium3c.  Then define
drives and paths. After that, the server
and/or device driver knows what tape to put on what drive.  Be aware
that while
lto3 tapes won't be mounted on lto2 drives, lto2 tapes will be mounted
on lto3
drives for both reading and writing.

My drives are all scsi, so I don't know if the scsi and fiber mix will
have
issues.

My servers are on Solaris with an STK l700e.

Hope this helps,

Bill Colwell
Draper Lab