ADSM-L

TSM and Diskxtender - Windows

2006-05-18 16:24:41
Subject: TSM and Diskxtender - Windows
From: Tom Melton <Tom.Melton AT EMORYHEALTHCARE DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 16:24:16 -0400
TSM Window Client 5.2.3.4
TSM Server 5.2.2.5
Diskxtender 5.6

We have a large Windows box with millions of files on it.  We utilize
the HSM components of Legato/EMC Diskxtender to migrate the unused files
to TSM media.  We have the Diskxtender option set to NOT recall a file
when the accessing program is TSM.

With all that said, the incremental backup of these millions of files
takes too long.  One of my co-workers thinks he read somewhere (cannot
find again) that there is a way to have the TSM client not interface
with the TSM server for migrated files.  IE, to completely skip a file
that is migrated, and not do the normal comparision to determine the
file has changed/not changed.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this?   If so - what is the
process?

Thanks in advance...

-Tom