ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Diskxtender - Windows

2006-05-27 06:17:17
Subject: Re: TSM and Diskxtender - Windows
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 05:16:45 -0500
Tom,

We've seen the same phenomenon.

We have TSM 5.1.7 running in a Windows 2003 Sp1 file server with almost 2
million files.  The file server is itself running on VMWare and connected
to LUNs on our EMC Clariion SAN.
1.5 years ago, that same server had 1.7 million files, was a physical
server, and used direct-attached disks.  Backups took 3 hours.
Now with the mix of products and technologies I've listed, backups are
taking *more* than 24 hours, meaning we're backing up that server every
other day.
Here's the odd part:  The Clariion, DiskXtender, and VMWare are all EMC
products.  We submitted a description of our problem to all three
divisions.
* DiskXtender support said they don't support installing into a virtual
server; sucks to be us.
* Clariion support suggested we group our ATA LUNs so that all the LUNs in
any RAID group are on the same storage processor.
* VMWare support suggested changing the server from a 2-way to a 1-way
server and removing its affinity from processor 0.
So far we've done everything recommended to us, mostly by VMWare, but it
hasn't fixed anything.

This problem does not just affect backups.  It also affects anti-virus
scheduled scans, file searches, and enumerating contents of folders with
many child objects.  In other words, it appears to be a directory-scanning
issue, not a backup issue.

I don't have an answer for you.  Only my experience that what you're
seeing is happening elsewhere, too.

Note that we are planning to upgrade our entire TSM system to V 5.3.3+ in
about a week.  We'll see if that makes any difference.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/18/2006
03:24:16 PM: