ADSM-L

Re: ANS4025E file exceeds user or system file limit

2006-01-26 17:52:51
Subject: Re: ANS4025E file exceeds user or system file limit
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:52:37 -0500
On Jan 26, 2006, at 4:15 PM, Wu, Jie* wrote:

The v5.3 message guide indicates that AIX has a file size limit of
64GB(it
is really a surprise to me, cause most other platform supports much
larger
file size).

I have upgraded my TSM client to 5.2.4 and I am backing up the file
right
now. To add the confusion, the dump file is 78,084,456,448bytes,
which is
over 64GB. But the client is backing up the file. Did IBM make a
mistake on
their manual?

Jie -

In looking at the Messages manual versus the Unix Client manual, I'm
getting the impression that the ANS4025E message description has been
left stagnant since authoring. I would depend upon the "Maximum file
size for operations" definitions in the client manual, which receives
more author scrutiny.

A complicating factor in the numbers is that the Unix "filesize" unit
is blocks rather than bytes: if a sparse file is involved, the 'ls -
l' command gives a false sense of it, while 'du -k' returns the
actual disk consumption. Technology is intentionally confusing to
discourage civilian incursion.

  Richard Sims