ADSM-L

Tape assignments as a mass-flow problem...

2005-12-21 11:42:19
Subject: Tape assignments as a mass-flow problem...
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:42:12 -0500
Greetings, all.

I'm noodling with tracking down where in my TSM infrastructure a particular
drain of tapes is happening.  There are several ways I might do this, but the
angle I decided to try to work was querying the library manager for when tapes
were allocated to library clients, and when they come back.

So what I discovered is that -assignments- are memorialized with 'ANR9791I
Volume [foo] in library [bar] ownership is changing' messages, but from what I
can see the return of a volume is not recorded in the lib manager actlog at
all.

Now, I can collect the 'ANR1341I Scratch volume [foo] has been deleted' from
the library clients, but that's vaguely unsatisfying and depends on access
which might be difficult to achieve in some places.

So, has anyone else found a satisfying solution to this kind of measurement?

- Allen S. Rout