ADSM-L

Re: Tape assignments as a mass-flow problem...

2005-12-21 11:53:52
Subject: Re: Tape assignments as a mass-flow problem...
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:53:25 -0500
Alan - The volume history records should provide solid info.
       Their STGDELETE entries, for example, correspond to the
ANR1341I.

  Richard Sims

On Dec 21, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Allen S. Rout wrote:

Greetings, all.

I'm noodling with tracking down where in my TSM infrastructure a
particular
drain of tapes is happening.  There are several ways I might do
this, but the
angle I decided to try to work was querying the library manager for
when tapes
were allocated to library clients, and when they come back.

So what I discovered is that -assignments- are memorialized with
'ANR9791I
Volume [foo] in library [bar] ownership is changing' messages, but
from what I
can see the return of a volume is not recorded in the lib manager
actlog at
all.

Now, I can collect the 'ANR1341I  Scratch volume [foo] has been
deleted' from
the library clients, but that's vaguely unsatisfying and depends on
access
which might be difficult to achieve in some places.

So, has anyone else found a satisfying solution to this kind of
measurement?

- Allen S. Rout