ADSM-L

Tape Drive Sans

2005-10-20 14:39:02
Subject: Tape Drive Sans
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:38:18 -0400
Hi Everyone . . . expecially SAN experts . . . .

I have a 3494 library with 3590H drives that connect to a AIX system via
SAN.
The SAN switch is a Brocade.  Below is the switchshow cmd for this switch.

The F-Ports are the AIX adapters while the L-Ports are the 3590 drives.
There is no zoning on the switch - all AIX HBA's see all drives, then
atape picks the least busy path to use.

We might want to add another library with 3592 tape drives to the TSM
server and this switch.

Questions . . . .

1) Zoning

If I add some host adapters and new library/drives to this same switch
(keeping new drives/libraries on separate HBA adapters),  Is there
anything special about zoning fcal L-Ports to the F-port AIX adapters?
(We've never played around with L-Ports.  Everything else we have are
fabric ports).

Would you create a zone per AIX HBA with one libraries drives, or,
one zone per library with all the HBA's and drives in the one zone?

2)  Sharing HBA's

Is it possible to share the existing HBA's with both a new
library/drives (3592) and the existing library/drives (3590)?

Is this advisable?

In other words, is it better to keep lib/drives on separate
host hba's?

Thanks

Rick

switchshow cmd below . . . . .

is2109tsmb:admin> switchshow
switchName:     is2109tsmb
switchType:     12.4
switchState:    Online
switchMode:     Native
switchRole:     Principal
switchDomain:   1
switchId:       fffc01
switchWwn:      10:00:00:60:69:90:0b:1b
zoning:         OFF
switchBeacon:   OFF

Area Port Media Speed State
==============================
  0   0   id    N2   Online    F-Port  10:00:00:00:c9:4a:89:71
  1   1   id    N2   Online    F-Port  10:00:00:00:c9:40:20:d5
  2   2   id    N2   Online    F-Port  10:00:00:00:c9:48:06:f7
  3   3   id    N2   Online    F-Port  10:00:00:00:c9:3d:d9:c2
  4   4   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
  5   5   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
  6   6   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
  7   7   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
  8   8   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
  9   9   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
 10  10   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
 11  11   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
 12  12   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
 13  13   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
 14  14   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
 15  15   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
 16  16   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
 17  17   id    N1   Online    L-Port  1 public
 18  18   id    N2   No_Light
 19  19   id    N2   No_Light
 20  20   id    N2   No_Light
 21  21   id    N2   No_Light
 22  22   id    N2   No_Light
 23  23   id    N2   No_Light
 24  24   id    N2   No_Light
 25  25   id    N2   No_Light
 26  26   id    N2   No_Light
 27  27   id    N2   No_Light
 28  28   id    N2   No_Light
 29  29   id    N2   No_Light
 30  30   id    N2   No_Light
 31  31   id    N2   No_Light

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.