ADSM-L

TSM Performance with 3584 LTO-2 Drives

2005-10-20 12:22:42
Subject: TSM Performance with 3584 LTO-2 Drives
From: Chet Osborn <osborn AT RPI DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:22:14 -0400
Hi,

We're recently connected a 3584 with one L52 frame containing 2 LTO-2
fiber attached drives to our AIX server. We'll be using FAStT SATA
disk as a primary storage pool and migrating from disk to tape.  Can
anyone with a  similar setup provide any statistics on how this works
in the real world, i.e. MB/sec or GB/hour from disk to tape.

A test migration of 259 GB (152422 files) took 10.5 hours to
complete. This seems like abysmally slow performance, or is it
reasonable with a large numbers of small files?

TSM version: 5.3.1

MoveBatchSize     500
MoveSizeThresh    512

AIX version: 5.1