ADSM-L

Basic newbie questions

2005-10-12 11:12:37
Subject: Basic newbie questions
From: Jeff Waiter <jeff_waiter AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:11:55 -0700
Hi,

I am hoping that someone out there can answer some
very basic questions that I have around TSM 5.3 as i
have to implement the solution and I am having great
difficulty in understanding certain concepts, I've
only started working with the product recently:

TSM 5.3 in a windows environment.

1) I have 10 servers with local tape drives in each
machine. Can I backup the servers to the tape drives
by only installing TSM server on a seperate server and
then installing TSM client on each server and
instructing TSM to backup each server to the local
tape drives or do I have to install TSM server to each
of the servers that I need to backup?

2) Are the backup operations a push from the client to
the server or do you configure the policies on the
server and the server then instructs the client what
to backup. Either way where do I view these policies
and configure them? Using the MMC plugin or the
Integrated solutions console?

3) What is the purpose of Device driver and in this
case do I need to load the device drivers for the tape
drives in all my servers?

4) For testing purposes is it possible to backup a
server to disk on another server via the LAN?

Thank You

Regards
Jeff Waiter

http://mail.yahoo.com