ADSM-L

Re: Basic newbie questions

2005-10-16 14:15:33
Subject: Re: Basic newbie questions
From: Jeff Waiter <jeff_waiter AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:15:04 -0700
Thanks to all those that have assisted.

Just one more question...what do I need to keep in mind with regards to
restores when designing my backup method. From what I have read there could be
serious issues with restores and I just want to make sure I cover all issues.

Jeff

Kurt Beyers <Kurt.Beyers AT DOLMEN DOT BE> wrote:
Jef,

1. TSM requires that the backup devices are connected to the TSM server
(exception if the library is SAN attached), so the local tape dirves cannot be
used on the TSM clients

2. The scheduler on the TSM client either runs in polling or prompted mode. The
latter is the preferred one (at least I find so). The TSM server then contacts
the TSM client that a backup should begin. The schedules itself are defined on
the TSM server either through the ISC console or the good old Administrative
Command-Line

3. Check the Supported Devices matrix at
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBM_TSM_Supported_Devices_for_AIXHPSUNWIN.html
 t osee if the Device driver is required. Some backup devices do require it,
other don't and for some you can choose.

4. Backup to disk on the TSM server is one of the strong points of TSM, so yes
it is possoble. But the disk space must be on the TSM server.

Hope that this gets you started.

best regards,
Kurt