ADSM-L

Re: AW: [ADSM-L] include.subfile and management class

2005-10-12 11:08:34
Subject: Re: AW: [ADSM-L] include.subfile and management class
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:09:00 -0700
Hi Thomas,

First, I do not disagree that our documentation is sometimes less than
clear. While it does not explicitly state "you need two include
statements", a careful reading of the information in chapter 9, the
"Include options" section, will yield the information. (However, I will
feed this back to the developers who work on our manuals for their
consideration.)

For example, at the beginning of the section, note the 4th bullet below,
which implies that "include" is not quite the same as "include.subfile":

--------------------
The include options specify any of the following:

* Objects within a broad group of excluded objects that you want to
include for backup, archive, and image services.
* Files that are included for backup or archive processing that you want
to include for encryption processing.
* Files that are included for backup or archive processing that you also
want to include for compression processing.
* Files that are included for backup processing that you also want to
include for adaptive subfile backup processing.
* Objects to which you want to assign a specific management class.
* A management class to assign to all objects to which you do not
explicitly assign a management class.
--------------------

Then a little further down:

--------------------
Tivoli Storage Manager processes exclude.dir and other include-exclude
statements first. Tivoli Storage Manager then considers any
include.compression, include.encrypt and include.subfile statements. For
example, consider the following include-exclude list:
--------------------

Then later on in the "syntax" section, it says to use "include" to bind
files to management classes:

--------------------
include, include.backup, include.file
These options are equivalent. Use these options to include files or assign
management classes for backup processing.
--------------------

And a little further down in the same section, it says that you use
"include.subfile" to include files for adaptive subfile backup:

--------------------
include.subfile
Includes files for adaptive subfile backup processing. This option does
not apply to archive processing. This option is valid for all Windows
clients.
--------------------

If you also look up the "Exclude options" section in chapter 9, there is a
subsection, "Adaptive subfile backup processing" that has similar
information.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-10-11
23:34:25: