ADSM-L

Re: CPU usage and sizinging

2005-09-27 14:21:25
Subject: Re: CPU usage and sizinging
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:20:58 -0400
I suspect your problem is more of a disk porblem.
Whether actual disks you are using or the arrangement.

Expire inventory is faster the faster you get your disks
and also check "q db f=d" and see if cache Hit Pct is around 99%.

If it is lower, then increase the size of Buffer Pool to get
cache hit pct up and speed up Expire.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Ray.Louvier AT HALLIBURTON DOT COM 09/27/05 9:07 AM >>>
I have a question to the group that I hope I can get some answer or
pointed to some doc's on. I have to justify buying an AIX 550 over a AIX
520. My argument is, that our Database backups and expire inventories
are running longer than they should on our 1 G two cpu 520 running 5.3
AIX. The expire inventory runs for at least 5 to 6 hours and usually has
about 700000 items. Our disk for the DB are separate channels raw disk
on an I/o chassis. My belief is that those two processes are CPU
intensive.. Am I correct? Our DB is about 50 GB. We backup about 230
nodes and about 1.3 TB a night. We are running TSM 5.2.4.

Office: 281-871-5502  |  Mobile: 713-471-1844

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and
privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review,
use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of this message.

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.