ADSM-L

Re: CPU usage and sizinging

2005-09-27 09:22:41
Subject: Re: CPU usage and sizinging
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:21:54 -0400
I suppose you could answer that question by monitoring CPU utilization (
or paging) during the expire / reclamation cycle.

Try the free demo of something like application manager 6 and monitor
it for several days and see if there is a spike during those times.

>>> Ray.Louvier AT HALLIBURTON DOT COM 09/27/2005 9:07:30 AM >>>
I have a question to the group that I hope I can get some answer or
pointed to some doc's on. I have to justify buying an AIX 550 over a
AIX
520. My argument is, that our Database backups and expire inventories
are running longer than they should on our 1 G two cpu 520 running 5.3
AIX. The expire inventory runs for at least 5 to 6 hours and usually
has
about 700000 items. Our disk for the DB are separate channels raw disk
on an I/o chassis. My belief is that those two processes are CPU
intensive.. Am I correct? Our DB is about 50 GB. We backup about 230
nodes and about 1.3 TB a night. We are running TSM 5.2.4.

Office: 281-871-5502  |  Mobile: 713-471-1844

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and
privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any
review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly
prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to
receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the
sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.