ADSM-L

Re: Notes selective incremental management class

2005-09-27 01:52:06
Subject: Re: Notes selective incremental management class
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 01:51:51 -0400
Kurt,

I think you might be missing this:  domino backups, even incremental ones,
always backup
the whole nsf file.  The only "incremental" thing you can do is turn on archive
logging and
save the logs.  The inactivatelogs command then will mark the logs as inactive
when there is
no active database backup that needs them.  You can make a separate class for
these logs as
they have a different name.

Hope this helps

Steve.

> Thanks for the answer but then how would you include the selective backups of
> eg mail6/
*.nsf to the mgmt class MGMT_SEL and the incremental backups of them to
MGMT_INCR
instead of both type backups to DOMINO in your example?

> I've found already the document that states that two different stanzas should
> be created to
bind the backups to another management class. I've followed the setup on a test
server and
ran first a selective backup using the mgmt class MGMT_SEL as default for the
stanza
server_NOTES_FULL. However when I ran immediately afterwards the incremental
backup with
the mgmt class MGMT_INCR now as default using the stanza server_Notes_INCR, it
was again
a full backup. Is this because the first full backup was created on another TSM
node name
(NOTES_FULL) and thus the incremental backup of the TSM node (NOTES_INCR) did
not have a
full backup yet?

> The dsm.opt of server_NOTES_FULL is:
>
> COMMMethod        TCPip
> TCPPort           1500
> TCPServeraddress  TSMSERVER
> TCPWindowsize     63
> TCPBuffSize       32
> NODename          server_notes_full
> PASSWORDAccess    Generate
>
> SCHEDMODE             Prompted
> TCPCLIENTADDRESS Server_Notes
> TCPCLIENTPORT         1502
>
> COMPRESSIon       yes
> COMPRESSAlways    NO
>
> INCLUDE *  MGMT_Notes_FULL
>
> and the dsm_incr.opt of server_NOTES_INCRis:
>
> COMMMethod        TCPip
> TCPPort           1500
> TCPServeraddress  TSMSERVER
> TCPWindowsize     63
> TCPBuffSize       32
> NODename          server_notes_incr
> PASSWORDAccess    Generate
>
> SCHEDMODE             Prompted
> TCPCLIENTADDRESS SERVER_Notes
> TCPCLIENTPORT         1502
>
> COMPRESSIon       yes
> COMPRESSAlways    NO
>
> INCLUDE *  MGMT_Notes_Incr
>
> I will have to take a look at the transaction log backups too since the
> incremental backup
would be almost a daily full backup based on the modification time of the nsf
files.