ADSM-L

Re: Previewing Expiration

2005-09-03 13:41:53
Subject: Re: Previewing Expiration
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:41:36 -0500
On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, David le Blanc wrote:

Hi enlightened list members,

I have a number of policy changes to make, including the implementation
of an
client optionset containing a 'DIRMC' to redirect directories globally
to a disk
storage pool with lowered retention.

The problem I have is the database appeared to grow more quickly than
anticipated
and I've finally clicked that TSM has made an unfortunate choice for
DIRMC, where
it has selected a management class set up for a TDP with 60day
archives... Whoever
set it up made the (otherwise unused) backup copygroup nolimit for all
parameters.

As you could imagine, we now have likely a billion versions of a billion
directories
across the enterprise.

If I make the changes I think need to happen, how can I 'preview' the
expiration process
to make certain there are no surprises??

Only way I know how to do that is run dsm GUI from the client that has
the modified include-exclude (or dsm.opt) file, then proceed to run a
manual backup, and see what is red-x'ed out and what isn't, make sure it
matches what you think it should do. You don't actually have to run a
manual backup to do this though.

Alex