ADSM-L

Re: Previewing Expiration

2005-09-02 22:51:30
Subject: Re: Previewing Expiration
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:51:07 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of David le Blanc
>If I make the changes I think need to happen, how can I 'preview' the
>expiration process to make certain there are no surprises??

There is no 'preview' for expiration. What kind of surprise are you
expecting?

>Also,  whats a good policy for directory retention?  I've taken a stab
>in the dark, and
>kept only a very few versions, with verdel=1 and retonly=7 years (which
>is pretty much
>the standard for data being too old to be useful to anyone but a
lawyer)

You don't even really need that. I usually set up something like

  vere=1
  verd=1
  retaine=30
  retaino=90 (or however long the longest file retention is for that
domain)

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
  Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Office 262.521.5627