ADSM-L

Re: your thoughts on mirroring DB

2005-09-02 10:16:31
Subject: Re: your thoughts on mirroring DB
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:12:50 -0400
I run in roll forward mode, so with a data base backup and a good recovery log,
I can recover to the point of crash.  So I do not do TSM mirroring of my db
which is on ESS but I do mirror my (much smaller) recovery log to maximize the
chances I'll be able to recover in the unlikely case that I have a
unrecoverable disk problem.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville

>>> Tae_Kim AT MCKINSEY DOT COM 09/01/05 4:06 PM >>>
Hello all, I wanted to know what your thoughts are on Mirroring DB or Log
volumes that resides on a storage sub system (ESS, EMC, HITACHI).  They
are all supposed to be redundant enough to be up 99.9999% of the time with
proper server configuration (multi path to multi fibre HBA) do you guys
see the need the mirror your DB and Log volumes?

Tae Kim

McKinsey & Company
485 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10022
(212) 415-1724
information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.