ADSM-L

Re: New 3590 tape drives

2002-11-07 12:51:21
Subject: Re: New 3590 tape drives
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:55:48 -0500
> We're (finally!) looking at purchasing some native 3590 drives for our
> 3494 library, which we share between TSM and HSM on OS\390. Currently
> we're using 3490 and VTS for our copypools. A couple of questions arise.
>
> 1) Will TSM allow us to slowly migrate our tape storage pools to the new
> native 3590 tapes or is this a situation where we would have to
> move/migrate the data from 3490 (physical or logical) to the 3590 tapes
> all at one time?

There are at least three ways to do phased migration to new media for
primary storage pools. You can make the storage pool containing the
new media the next pool for the old storage pool. You can then lower
migration thresholds when you want migration to start and raise the
thresholds when you want migration to stop. You can run 'move data'
commands with the 'stgpool' option to move the contents of individual
volumes in the old storage pool into the new storage pool. You can
define the new storage pool as the reclamation pool for the old storage
pool and control data movement by adjusting the reclaim percentage for
the old storage pool.

There is no explicit mechanism for moving data from one copy pool to
another. You will have to populate the new copy pool by running 'backup
stgpool' commands. The processes created by these commands can be
cancelled if need be to break the copying process into managable
chunks. Once the new copy pool is synchronized with the relevant
primary pools you can delete the volumes in the old copy storage
pool.

> 2) If we make our TSM backup storage pool 3490 (logical) and the
> disaster recovery pool 3590 native tapes, would TSM make full
> utilization of the 3590 capacity?  Or, would it be a 1-to-1 tape usage?

TSM will fill an onsite 3590 tape completely. TSM will fill an offsite
3590 tape until it reaches the end of the tape or until the status of
the tape is updated to mark the tape as unavailable for mounting.