ADSM-L

New 3590 tape drives

2002-11-07 09:05:36
Subject: New 3590 tape drives
From: Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:57:30 -0500
We're (finally!) looking at purchasing some native 3590 drives for our
3494 library, which we share between TSM and HSM on OS\390. Currently
we're using 3490 and VTS for our copypools. A couple of questions arise.

1) Will TSM allow us to slowly migrate our tape storage pools to the new

native 3590 tapes or is this a situation where we would have to
move/migrate the data from 3490 (physical or logical) to the 3590 tapes
all at one time?

2) If we make our TSM backup storage pool 3490 (logical) and the
disaster recovery pool 3590 native tapes, would TSM make full
utilization of the 3590 capacity?  Or, would it be a 1-to-1 tape usage?

Any experiences to share, or other concerns to address?

Thanks,

--
Jim Kirkman
AIS - Systems