ADSM-L

Re: how to add tape to library? (fwd)

2002-10-04 18:28:30
Subject: Re: how to add tape to library? (fwd)
From: "Johnn D. Tan" <jdtan AT MED.CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 18:27:46 -0400
Mark:

As I understand it, step 5 (label libv) automatically checks in the
new tapes as scratch, thus making step 6 unnecessary?

johnn

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Alexander Lazarevich
 I can remove the tapes just fine, but when I try to add a new one,
 per your instructions, here's what happens:

 adsm> label libvol  ITG-3575 3121cf labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch
 ANR8812E LABEL LIBVOLUME: The SEARCH parameter is required when using
 LABELSOURCE with this command.
 ANS8001I Return code 3.

The problem is that if you specify the volume name, the labelsource
parameter is not necessary.

 So then I add the search parameter and I get this error:

 adsm> label libvol  ITG-3575 3121cf labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch
 search=bulk
 ANR2020E LABEL LIBVOLUME: Invalid parameter - SEARCH.
 ANS8001I Return code 3.

Okay, here we go:

1. Cancel all processes:
        cancel process <process_number>
2. Check for mounted volumes. If there are any, they should all be idle
after all processes are cancelled. Dismount any volume still in a drive:
        dismount volume <volume_name>
3. Audit the library:
        audit library <library_name> checkl=barcode
4. Open up the library and fill it completely with tapes. Let the library
rehome itself and reset.
5. If they are brand-new tapes (never been used before), run this command:
        label libv <library_name> search=yes checkin=scratch
labelsource=barcode
                overwrite=yes
6. Now run
        checkin libv <library_name> search=yes status=scratch checkl=barcode

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE