ADSM-L

Re: TDPO/RMAN orphan backups

2002-04-16 13:39:44
Subject: Re: TDPO/RMAN orphan backups
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:39:53 -0400
Two ways depending on how you prefer.

1.  Disable the RMAN delete scripts until you have been on new server
the number of days you keep RMAN backups.  Then reconfigure client
to old server and run delete scripts, this will keep RMAN catalog clean.
Then point back to new server and reenable delete scripts.

2.  Just forget RMAN catalog and delete filespace on old ADSM server
when you want.  Depends on how easy DBA can clean up RMAN catalog.

David Longo

>>> JTHVEDT AT LARSONDOORS DOT COM 04/16/02 12:49PM >>>
Hello *SMers:

We recently switched from an ADSM 3 server to TSM 4 on a different server (a
clean switch; NOT an upgrade).  We'll keep the old server on-line for a
while just in case we need to restore an old version of something.

I didn't quite think through the TDPO/RMAN switch, though, and my purge
scripts switched to the new server at the same time as my backup scripts.
So RMAN was busy deleting old Oracle backups from its own catalog, trying to
delete them from the new TSM server (where they didn't exist), but not
deleting them from the old ADSM server.  Now that they're gone from the RMAN
catalog, I'm not sure of the easiest or best way to get rid of them from
ADSM.  Is there some policy change I can make so they expire?  Or should I
just delete the filespace?

Thanks.

Joseph

--
Joseph Thvedt
Joseph Thvedt

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 04/16/02 13:53:57
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.