ADSM-L

Re: Daily Backup Report

2002-04-16 14:04:22
Subject: Re: Daily Backup Report
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:04:36 -0500
And it depends on what you mean by a "successful" backup...

We use Bill's method below to report on all events taht do not have a status
of completed.  (We only used to report on exceptions also ...)

If you are worried about some files that were not processed then "completed"
does not tell you what you want (for incrementals on 4.x clients and below).
Here you will have to do additional queries to report on these failed
objects.  With archives and selective backups however, files in use will
report as failed (can't confirm if other failed files will) (again 4.x and
below) so that is covered here.

Now, with 5.1, incrementals, archives, and selectives all report "completed"
if files are not processed because of some error.

But with incrementals you can now check the return code: 4 = files skipped
(doesn't count files excluded by exclude statements).  But with selectives
and archives rc=4 could simply mean that your exclude statements are working
so now you will have to do additional queries to report on failed objects
here.

We also do queries on file spaces as was mentioned that reports when the
last backup completed.  We've had at least one occasion where security was
changed on an NT drive so that the "System Account" no longer had access
(that is what the TSM scheduler was using).  Here the backup status showes
"completed" but the filespace in question did not get backed up and the file
space query picked it up.

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg