ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.1

2002-03-13 10:53:49
Subject: Re: TSM 5.1
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:51:16 -0500
=> On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:21:43 -0600, Andy Carlson <andyc AT ANDYC.CARENET DOT
ORG> said:

> No, this is just copypools, up to two.  I agree  with you, and we put in
> a requirement at Share to do something  like this, with one copy going
> to primary and one copy to copypool, but this was during migrate.  I
> won't be able to take advantage of the copypools  in the way that it was
> added, because of the tape drive per session requirement.

Really, you don't want to copy directly to tape, pacing the backup session, in
any case: this gets you back to starving your tape with your network access
speed.

Keep in mind, there's nothing that prevents you from doing a copy at the same
time that backups are going on.  So if you are (apropos of nothing) backing up
200G nightly, starting at 2000, usually finishing by 0300, start a copy at
2200, and another at 0200.  You'll find there's very little left undone when
you run the third, "cleanup" copy at say 0500.

When I run these copies, I make three copies at a time: my local "media
failure" copy, and two offsite copies.

What I really want to be able to do, though, is generate a DB backup and a DB
snapshot simultaneously.  (or two shapshots, really).  I can understand why
you are forbidden to extend or reduce while "a database operation is in
progress".  I don't get why you can't do a snapshot.

Allen S. Rout