ADSM-L

Re: Point in Time Backups

2002-03-11 09:16:10
Subject: Re: Point in Time Backups
From: Cheri Howard <Cheri_Howard AT AAL DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:13:19 -0600
I appreciate all of the ideas that were posted on the list, and will send
an update out to the group when we make our final decision on how to handle
this.

For those on this  who think PIT restores are the answer.... While I
certainly see the value in PIT restores and in fact use them myself, I
disagree with the anecdotal statement that PIT restores can completely
eliminate the need for point in time backups.  However, if I'm missing
something here I'd be happy to listen to anyone who can give me a DETAILED
layout of how to EASILY set up MANAGEABLE policies so that I can ensure my
customer that I can get his directory back for him as it looked 1, 3, 12 or
15 months ago.

Tivoli - this is definitely an ISSUE with your customers.  Is this ever
going to be addressed?

Thanks,

Cheri Howard
Lead Storage Analyst
Aid Association for Lutherans/Lutheran Brotherhood
4321 N. Ballard Road, Appleton, WI  54919-0001
http://www.aal.org

                    "Thomas A. La Porte"
                    <[email protected]       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    WORKS.COM>                 cc:     (bcc: Cheri Howard/AAL)
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist       Subject:     Re: Point in Time
Backups
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT ED

                    03/07/2002 03:42 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

If you manage your RETVER and VEREXISTS and RETONLY parameters
properly, this can be accomplished with point in time *restores*,
rather than point in time backups.

-- Tom
Thomas A. La Porte
Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks SKG
tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Cheri Howard wrote:

>I have numerous customers who are requesting that, in addition to their
TSM