ADSM-L

Re: Point in Time Backups

2002-03-08 16:42:23
Subject: Re: Point in Time Backups
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:39:57 -0800
What do you want to accomplish???

There is no such thing in TSM as Point In Time Backups.
There is only Point in Time RESTORES.

What are you really asking for? (I know Monthly, Weekly, etc)

IS A FILE you backup today any more valid then the copy you
backed up yesterday IF IT HASN'T CHANGED???

Archives or BACKUPSETS (and also, maybe, EXPORTS) seem to be the answer
to your question.   I would try BACKUPSETS and see if it gets too too
crazy.

It's a shame BACKUPSETS can't be optimized to work better for this
requirement.  What do you say IBM/Tivol???

               ... joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio, Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley
Private mail on any topic should be directed to :
         joef AT socrates.berkeley DOT edu
 (510)642-7638 (w)  (209)483-JOEF (M)
                             5633