ADSM-L

Re: Point in Time Backups

2002-03-11 18:51:54
Subject: Re: Point in Time Backups
From: Steve Harris <STEVE_HARRIS AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:42:28 +1000
Here's a thought.

What if evey month you were to rename the filespaces of a node to a name
containing the month?  e.g /data becomes /Feb02_data on 1 Feb.
Then, the next incremental would be a full on the /data filespace.  Delete the
renamed filespace whenever the appropriate retention period has expired.

Then to get a true point in time snapshot facility we'd need a "clone
filespace" command...., or could you do that with export/import?

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM> 12/03/2002 7:40:38 >>>
How about month-end exports?  You can keep them for as long as you need,
but there is the extra step of re-importing them to be able to restore from
them.

When I'm confronted by someone trying to do a "traditional"
full-incremental-incremental scheme with TSM, explain how TSM works,
starting out with, "Unlike every other backup program you've ever used,
TSM..."  (And I seem to have to use that speech a lot...)

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Today is the tomorrow of yesterday.

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.