ADSM-L

Re: TSM annoyances

2001-11-12 01:33:12
Subject: Re: TSM annoyances
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 00:30:47 -0600
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:01:03 -0500, it was written:
>It can take two weeks to fill an
>LTO tape with our SAP/Oracle redo logs - but you need them to recover to
>point of failure. These tapes tend to go off-site at about 10% (of 95 GB).
>The reclaim starts just after they check out of the library. We're trying to
>find an inexpensive way of moving these off-site electronically, but we run
>from a low of 12 GB per day to an observed high of 45 GB per day.

Think about the need for this (off-siting tape backups of log files).

How often do you need the logs? How often during the day do you back
them up? How often have you had media failure that requires using the
copy pool copies? After thinking these through, how important *is* it
to offsite log files?

I understand the administrator's desire to offsite 'em, but is there a
viable business case for electronic offsiting? If there's a tape drive
or tape volume bottleneck in conjunction with the redo log backups,
there is probably a need to review the resources you currently have,
with a thought toward increasing those resources.