ADSM-L

Re: TSM annoyances

2001-11-05 10:28:23
Subject: Re: TSM annoyances
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:14:30 -0500
This has worked for me since I started with ADSM 2.1. I'll admit that they
may have broken it in TSM 4.x -- but I just fired up a "move data <offsite
volser>" and TSM is cheerfully mounting the original storage pool volumes to
put the data on a new tape for the off-site copy pool. I'm running TSM 3.7.4
on AIX 4.3.3.

I've had to do this for some time, as I've had DLT tapes (and now LTO) and
reclaim at xx% gets ugly when you want to recover a 50% full (and filling)
LTO tape that has 48 GB on it but do not want to reclaim a 50% full (and
full) LTO tape that hit 420 GB and now has 210 GB to reclaim.

Here's what I've got going right now:

adsm> move data 001351
ANR2232W This command will move all of the data stored on volume 001351 to
other volumes within the same storage pool; the data will be inaccessible to
users until the operation completes.

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes/No) y
ANS8003I Process number 3472 started.

   3,472 Move Data            Offsite Volume 001351 (storage pool

                               INCR-LT-COPY), Target Pool INCR-LT-COPY,
Moved
                               Files: 0, Moved Bytes: 0, Unreadable Files:
0,
                               Unreadable Bytes: 0. Current Physical File

                               (bytes): 911,150,749

                               Current input volume: 001311.

                               Current output volume: 001250.

ANR1157I Removable volume 001311 is required for Move Data process.
ANR8324I LTO volume 001311 is expected to be mounted (R/O).
ANR8337I LTO volume 001250 mounted in drive DRIVE_10 (/dev/rmt9).
ANR1340I Scratch volume 001250 is now defined in storage pool INCR-LT-COPY.
ANR8337I LTO volume 001311 mounted in drive DRIVE_02 (/dev/rmt1).

adsm> q vol 001311

Volume Name               Storage      Device      Estimated    Pct   Volume

                          Pool Name    Class Name   Capacity   Util   Status

                                                        (MB)
------------------------  -----------  ----------  ---------  -----
--------
--------
001311                    NT-LT        NIBLTO      190,091.7   91.0    Full
001311                    NT-LT        NIBLTO      190,091.7   91.0    Full

adsm> q vol 001351

Volume Name               Storage      Device      Estimated    Pct   Volume

                          Pool Name    Class Name   Capacity   Util   Status

                                                        (MB)
--------
--------
001351                    INCR-LT-CO-  NIBLTO      172,746.9   54.4  Filling
001351                    INCR-LT-CO-  NIBLTO      172,746.9   54.4  Filling

                           PY

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc