ADSM-L

Re: TSM annoyances

2001-11-06 14:23:45
Subject: Re: TSM annoyances
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:17:28 -0500
John, we tend to run reclaims, moves, and storage pool backups on a daily
basis. Every day, after the storage pool backups finish, we run a database
backup to tape and check out the lot. The database backup and any copypool
tape with any data on it. Once a week we bring tapes back from offsite --
just do a q vol acce=of status=pen,emp to see what comes back.

I check them all in as status=private and let TSM immediately scratch the
empties. The pending tapes will scratch off after the reuse delay expires.

I've a group of perl and shell scripts to automate the entire process, with
a few pool definition tricks thrown in to help - like all my local tape
pools end in '-LT', and all my copy pools end in '-COPY' so I can do this: q
vol stg=*copy acce=readw,reado st=fil,ful and get a list of tapes to check
out. Likewise, the retrieval script starts out with 'q vol acce=of
st=pen,emp'; I strip off just the volume numbers and print it for our
courier. Note that you need some other technique to manage the database
backup itself (ours is warped but works real well :-)

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc