ADSM-L

Re: User verification of backups?

2001-06-10 07:15:32
Subject: Re: User verification of backups?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:16:30 -0400
>Our (storage team) new number one priority is: "Verify that all the
>correct data from each server is being backed up every time. Schedule
>meetings with every server owner to get their sign off. Please give some
>thought to how we allow these users to verify their data."

Steve - That's obviously a mighty poor definition, which will as
        obviously lead to the standard chase of the wild goose that
is so common in inadequately managed commercial environments.
Their mission statement begs the question as to the original objectives
which should have been clearly defined before the organization embarked
upon data assurance backups, with commensurate objectives for restorals
and retention.  All this should fold into a standing document which
describes those objectives and the rationale for selecting the current
storage management solution (TSM) to meet them.

"All the correct data" is utterly vague.  The organization must have a
definition of what data is important to the business and thus worth
the cost of backup, along with a prioritization of importance of the
various types of data.  Without a definition that is top-down from
management you're going to end up with a pointless situation where
it will be up to the various server system administrators to come up
with some arbitrary list from their own perspective, which won't
necessarily mean much.

Once the definitions are in place, it's simply a matter of those
server admins having that data backed up.  TSM produces a log on the
client of data that is sent to the server, and those clients can
clearly perform Query Backup reports to verify that the data is at
the TSM server.  I don't see that the TSM administrator has to play
any substantial role in this make-work project.

  Richard Sims, BU