ADSM-L

Re: User verification of backups?

2001-06-09 22:43:57
Subject: Re: User verification of backups?
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 21:44:21 -0500
Steve Schaub wrote:
> Our (storage team) new number one priority is: "Verify that all the correct
> data from each server is being backed up every time. Schedule meetings with
> every server owner to get their sign off. Please give some thought to how we
> allow these users to verify their data."
>
> Now, I am all for reliable backups, but I am at a loss to figure out just how
> to go about this, short of running a massive report on every backup/archive
> file in the database every day and posting it to our intranet for browsing by
> the .001% of our members who will care.  And I'm pretty confidant that
> allowing everyone access to every server's web gui so that they can "pretend"
> to do a restore just to view this info, is not the right approach either.
>
> So, am I missing something really basic here?  Has anyone else solved this
> problem?

It's easier than you think. Write a script (to be installed on every
client) that copies the dsmsched.log file to a web server's data site,
sticks a URL on the file that reflects the name of the client and the
date of the backup, publishes the page, and then deletes the
dsmsched.log file from the client. Let those who care look at the web
page. There are some other details here to be fleshed out, but it'd be a
*hell* of a lot easier than digging through the database.