ADSM-L

User verification of backups?

2001-06-09 16:11:39
Subject: User verification of backups?
From: Steve Schaub <Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 16:12:31 -0400
Don't laugh - this is a serious question that I have to respond to my
management with.

Environment: TSM 3.7.3.8 on AIX 4.3.3 using 288gb SSA diskpools & 3494 atl
w/3590E1a drives

Clients: 50+ Novell 4.11 & 5.1    50+ WinNT 4.0     15+ HP-UX (10.0 & 11.0)
V/K/N class

Daily incrementals on all, plus Oracle db/log archives (some daily, some weekly
- 10+ instances)

Our (storage team) new number one priority is: "Verify that all the correct
data from each server is being backed up every time. Schedule meetings with
every server owner to get their sign off. Please give some thought to how we
allow these users to verify their data."

Our Oracle dba's control their own backups and do their own checking, so that
isn't my issue.  The problem is the Wintel platforms (file/print servers with
100k's of files).

Now, I am all for reliable backups, but I am at a loss to figure out just how
to go about this, short of running a massive report on every backup/archive
file in the database every day and posting it to our intranet for browsing by
the .001% of our members who will care.  And I'm pretty confidant that allowing
everyone access to every server's web gui so that they can "pretend" to do a
restore just to view this info, is not the right approach either.

So, am I missing something really basic here?  Has anyone else solved this
problem?

Steve Schaub
Haworth, Inc
email: Steve.Schaub AT Haworth DOT com

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large