ADSM-L

Re: Migrate AIX-OS/390

2001-04-06 10:33:03
Subject: Re: Migrate AIX-OS/390
From: Michael Hull <mhull AT UOTTAWA DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:18:41 -0400
> could anyone tell me what CPU usage (mips) does an OS/390 machine use with
> TSM 4.1.

About a year ago we had ADSM 3.1 installed on a Multiprise 2003-
237 machine.  Mips rating of the machine is just over 100.
Receiving data at an aggregate rate of about 5 Mbytes/second to
disk, with a concurrent migration from disk to one tape could use
1/3 of the machine.

We moved to running TSM on an RS/6000-F40.

The problem with an OS/390 solution is when you run several other
software items (eg, DB2, CICS, CA-1) which are charged based on
the power of the whole machine.  Adding some processing power
(eg, going from a model 237 to a model 257) would have cost us a
software license charge increase of over $100,000.  It was a lot
cheaper to move TSM to the F40 and leave the mainframe as a 237.

Mike Hull               mhull AT uottawa DOT ca
Systems and Automation Analyst      613-562-5800 x 4587
Computer Centre        /  136 Jean-Jacques Lussier Room 543
University of Ottawa   /  Ottawa, Ontario   /  Canada   K1N 6N5