ADSM-L

Re: exclude archive question

2000-12-14 21:27:41
Subject: Re: exclude archive question
From: sekar n <nsekar99 AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:28:13 -0800
--- "Davidson, Becky" <DAVIDSBX AT EGR DOT COM> wrote:
> aix 4.3.3
> aix 4.3.3
> adsm 3.1.2.40
>
> I am sure this is a simple question but I need
> someone to reconfirm my
> thought.  I have a filesystem /oracle/PR1.  In it
> there are several
> subdirectories i.e. /oracle/PR1/bin,
> /oracle/PR1/exec etc that I need backed
> up daily.  There are also some filesystems
> /oracle/PR1/sapdata101
> /oracle/PR1/sapdata201 etc that I only want backed
> up when I do a "cold
> backup"(which is done to a different management
> class).  We were doing an
> incremental on /oracle/PR1 with a sub=yes and the
> filesystems that I didn't
> want backed up were in the incl/excl list.  We are
> now implementing disaster
> recovery and I want a full copy of those directories
> and subdirectories
> every day.  So I had planned to do an archive.  That
> leads to the problem.
> If I do an archive sub=yes then I will get all of
> the filesystems that I
> don't want.  If I don't do a sub=yes then I miss an
> ever changing number of
> subdirectories.  My only solution appears to be do a
> selective every night.
> Is there something I am missing?  Can I do excludes
> on the command line?
> Any assistance y'all can offer would be much
> appreciated.
> Thanks in advance
>
> Becky Davidson
> Data Manager/AIX Administrator
> EDS/Earthgrains

Reply:

I usually look at the proble of backup and archive
differently.  Archive is done through commands in the
scheduler which could be specific to a file systems.
Iam sure you would agree that an archive should be for
a full file system. include/exclude list or subdir=yes
may not give much problems.  Incidentally
include/exclude list can have reference to management
class, so that in combination of the name of
management
class in the definition and the command the filtering
can be done. Hope the above urgent reply ! makes some
sense.
sekar Tivoli server admin,
ONGC, Chennai, India
mail nsekar99 AT yahoo DOT com