ADSM-L

Re: Your experience with Tivoli Data Protection for MS Exchange

2000-11-14 08:30:31
Subject: Re: Your experience with Tivoli Data Protection for MS Exchange
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:11:21 -0500
Mike,

The restore and application of logs is all handled
for you by TDP for Exchange.  I think what Rene was referring
to is the fact that if you generate a lot of logs
between your full backups, the log replay takes longer.
Log replay is ALWAYS done by the Exchange server no matter
what backup solution you are running. After a restore is
performed, when you restart your services, the logs are replayed.
The number of logs that must be replayed increases your
"total recovery time".  Some of our customers run full
backups nightly to reduce their total recovery time.

Even with Backup Exec, you have to go through the same process.

And you should not have to run ISINTEG and/or do any type
of "patching".  If you have to, then something is not
working like it is supposed to.

I am trying to give you the facts of how TDP for Exchange works.
If you are happy with Backup Exec, stay with it.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler