ADSM-L

Re: Recover data from bad tapes

2000-05-03 08:50:46
Subject: Re: Recover data from bad tapes
From: Sean Duffy <sduffy AT TORSEL.ALCATEL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 08:50:46 -0400
We have a exabyte library with exabyte tapes. In the past I have been able
to send tapes out for recovery, when they have been damaged. If your tapes
are exabyte brand name exabyte will copy them for free. Exabyte Will
recover other brands as well, but will charge you for this service. Usually
takes a couple of weeks, however if you need the tape back faster they can
do it

I have contatcts at exabyte if you are interested

Sean Duffy
Network Analyst
Alcatel Canada, TA
mailto: sduffy AT torsel.alcatel DOT com

At 07:53 AM 5/3/00 -0400, you wrote:
>>Howdy, I was looking for any advice on how to recover from a situation
where a
>>tape gets damaged and contains active backup data. Is there anyway to
have ADSM
>>automatically request that data be sent by the client again? If you don't
have
>>stgpool copying enabled or have the rare occurence whereby your primary
and copy
>>tape are damaged...what can you do? Is running a selective or another full
>>(mode=absolute) the only way? Someone mentioned before that if you update
the
>>volume to access=destroyed, then ADSM will request the files be backed up
again.
>>But that didn't seem to work. The environment is ADSM V3.1.2.0 server on
NT 4
>>SP5 and ADSM clients at V3.1.0.8.
>
>Yours is not the first posting reporting loss of company data for lack of a
>backup storage pool.  Tape is tape, and is a quite vulnerable medium.
That is