ADSM-L

Re: Recover data from bad tapes

2000-05-03 07:31:57
Subject: Re: Recover data from bad tapes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 07:31:57 -0400
>Howdy, I was looking for any advice on how to recover from a situation where a
>tape gets damaged and contains active backup data. Is there anyway to have ADSM
>automatically request that data be sent by the client again? If you don't have
>stgpool copying enabled or have the rare occurence whereby your primary and
>copy
>tape are damaged...what can you do? Is running a selective or another full
>(mode=absolute) the only way? Someone mentioned before that if you update the
>volume to access=destroyed, then ADSM will request the files be backed up
>again.
>But that didn't seem to work. The environment is ADSM V3.1.2.0 server on NT 4
>SP5 and ADSM clients at V3.1.0.8.

Yours is not the first posting reporting loss of company data for lack of a
backup storage pool.  Tape is tape, and is a quite vulnerable medium.  That is
why ADSM stresses the need for doing storage pool backups.
The best you can do is a Move Data around the problem area on the tape,
do Audit Volume Fix=Yes, which will lose what cannot be recovered and cause
any such files still on the client to be backed up again.
   Richard Sims, BU