ADSM-L

Re: Migrating a TSM Server from 390 to AIX

2000-04-11 19:51:54
Subject: Re: Migrating a TSM Server from 390 to AIX
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:51:54 -0700
Ok so imagine I have this 390 server with a full library and 5 years of
archive tapes offsite.. I run "export server filed=all dev=library
scratch=yes" and walla it dumps everything to tape.. If I have a terabyte of
data backed up did I now just dump a terabyte to tape, only to carry it over
and import it all? Including bringing in the offisite archived volumes?

Then I move the library over and hook it up to the new AIX server and import
server from there.

Seems like a waste if it moves the actual data which running a "preview" on
a small tsm server here seems to be doing in the resulting "bytes moved"
figure at the end. Or should I use a filed=none and will the new server be
able to read all the old tapes afterwards?

-Gerald