ADSM-L

Regular output of figures from ADSM

2000-01-25 10:42:53
Subject: Regular output of figures from ADSM
From: Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:42:53 +0000
AIX 4.3 server, ADSM 3.1.2.40

I would like to produce daily reports of things like database
usage, scratch tapes available and so on and have this mailed
to me. I can see how this can be done by issuing admin batch
commands from a shell script which is run by cron - but I'm not
comfortable about having the adsm admin password available in clear
text in these scripts.

I have been trying to explore the alternative of using administrative
command schedules but there seems to be no way to redirect the
output to a file. You cannot run macros from a schedule and there
appears to be no way to supply redirection to adsm server scripts,
either when defining the script or when specifying the run command
to the scheduler.

The only possibility I can see is scheduling an adsm server script
which writes the result to the activity and console logs. I could
then try and extract the information from the console log.

Has anyone managed to get information out of ADSM in a secure
and less kludgy manner ?

 Steven Bridge     Systems Group, Information Systems, EISD
                          University College London
 email: s.bridge AT ucl.ac DOT uk                   tel: +44 (0)20 7679 2794